I want to assure you that as your Member of Parliament for Penrith and The Border, I am doing everything I can to address your concerns and ensure those on the front line of the Covid-19 Pandemic - those working tirelessly in the NHS, keeping the supply chains going, and caring for the vulnerable - have the resources and support that they need.
I know these are worrying and uncertain times for everyone and, although the unprecedented Government support measures introduced so far have been well-received, further clarification of the extent and application of these is still needed. Whilst Parliament is not physically meeting in Westminster, I am still in daily contact with my colleagues in Government and continue to question and inform Ministers' efforts; I'm also in regular discussion with the Chief Executive of North Cumbria CCG, Council leaders and the Chair of the Local Resilience Forum, about local measures to tackle COVID-19.
I will of course share new information with my constituents, as I receive it, via this website; for my response to Government policies or views on popular topics, please see the My Views webpage.
In the meantime, I have put together the following to help constituents find information quickly:
- The latest medical advice on COVID-19 can be found at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- If you have coronavirus symptoms and need medical advice, please visit 111.nhs.uk
- Up-to-date Government guidance - including information on support for businesses and employees, travel advice and guidance on self isolation and social-distancing - can be found at www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- If you are at serious risk of getting ill as a result of COVID-19, you need help getting groceries or medication, and can't get help from family or friends, please contact Cumbria County Council's Coronavirus Emergency Support Helpline. You can request support by:
- Cumbria County Council Coronavirus Information: https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/coronavirus/landingpage.asp
- To join, or request support from, volunteer organisations, please visit:
- For a list of national and local, advice, services and support for Cumbrian businesses and employees affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, collated by Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership, please visit: https://www.thecumbrialep.co.uk/news-detail/2020/covid-19-guidance-for-employees-employers-and-businesses/
- You can also find answers to Coronavirus FAQs at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do?fbclid=IwAR3G8KI-yBN3cU5zCk6TQM00-toEoWN9_vG_xuXPJg5x-7Hh-Yi4WVB6lq8
If you are unable to find the information you need using the resources above, or you are experiencing a problem with a Government department, I and my constituency team can be contacted on 01768 484 114 or email@example.com; but please be mindful that we are dealing with an unprecedented number of requests for assistance, so will need to prioritise.
Sadly, it is clear that the virus will be with us for some time, but I know my ministerial colleagues and others are working around the clock to ensure the public is protected. I will continue to monitor and support their efforts, raise your concerns where necessary, and keep you updated. We will get through this.
Once again, I urge everyone to continue to follow the NHS and the Government’s advice.
Stay well and stay safe,